With the Bordeaux University Hospital Centre, the 3rd largest in France, the Bordeaux Region has all the industries and services in the healthcare and biotechnology sector.
With scientific excellence which is recognised worldwide, industrial innovations, major structural projects such as the Bioparc Technology Park, etc., the Bordeaux Region is at the forefront among regions that are important and will continue to be important in the health sector.
Medical devices, e-health, pharmaceuticals and bioindustries: strong sectors
Whether large company establishments or start-up businesses, the industries in the Bordeaux Region are developing and using core competencies of the health and biotechnology sector on a daily basis:
- Production of pharmaceutical specialities: Sanofi, BMS UPSA, CEVA Animal Health, Johnson and Johnson, MEDA…
- Services to the pharmaceutical industry: BIO-HC, Unither Developpement, Creapharm, Prociner, Disposable Lab, Dosatron…
- Implantable and non-implantable medical devices: Stryker Spine, Lagarrigue, Steris, ACTEON, Zimmer Spine, Creaspine, Implanet, Hexabio…
- Biotechnologies: Alienor farma, Flamel Technologies, Merck Biodeveloppement, Fluofarma…
- Cosmetics and nutrition: Laboratoire Aquanal, Bionovation, Laboratoire du Bain, Vitagermine…
- Healthcare logistics: Biotrans, GT Santé, Geodis Logistique, Medicament Export, MSF Logistique…
- Medical IT: McKesson, Agfa Health Care France, Siemens Health Services, Web100T, Edevice, HelloDoc, Sigems…
The Bordeaux region has confirmed its leadership in healthcare IT and medical imaging in particular, organised around the TIC Santé cluster.
Healthcare and biotechnologies: a strategic sector in Bordeaux boosted by major innovative projects
The University of Bordeaux has been awarded the title Initiative of Excellence (IDEX) and features among the universities who have won the future investment calls for projects for a number of projects selected in neuroscience, cardiology and medical devices (equipment of excellence, laboratories of excellence, infrastructure…).
With regard to the major structuring real estate projects, Bioparc technology park is entirely dedicated to SMEs and the major players in the health-biotechnology sector. Situated at the heart of the Bordeaux metropolis, the park hosts projects and will be the major location in the Bordeaux metropolitan area for industries in the sector. Within the park, the Biogalien innovation cluster in particular offers companies premises and shared resources and facilities to perform R&D and innovation projects, and manages communication operations for the cluster.
Meanwhile, the Neurocampus real estate project which covers almost 16,000 m2 near the Bordeaux University Hospital (CHU) aims to position Bordeaux as a world leader in neurosciences, particularly in the areas of research, training and the creation of innovative companies. In 2014 it will therefore federate 3 Neurosciences institutes and also plans to host an incubator and a training centre.
Provision of training and research in support of the sector
The University of Bordeaux trains 18,000 students annually in Life Sciences, Healthcare, Human Sciences and Education, including 7,500 students in medical disciplines, and the Bordeaux University Hospital Centre is the 3rd most reputed French CHU.
As pools of skills in the sector, the engineering schools, “Grandes écoles” and graduate schools in the Bordeaux region are also directly involved in the sector:
- L’Ecole Supérieure de Technologies des Biomolécules de Bordeaux, ranked no. 1 for its biotech training in France
- L’Ecole Doctorale des Sciences Biologiques et Médicales
- L’Institut de Pharmacie Industrielle de Bordeaux
- L’Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Cognitique
- L’Institut de Santé Publique, d’Epidémiologie et Développement
With regard to research and laboratories, the Bordeaux region is also home to:
- 10 major research institutes of excellence in neurosciences, cardiology and oncology, also encompassing bio-imaging and human nutrition, including the CNRS, the INRA, and in addition Institut Européen Chimie et Biologie, Institut de Nutrition Humaine en Aquitaine and INSERM
- Technical platforms on a national and international scale also contribute to the transfer of skills from digital or laser to healthcare and make the Bordeaux region a hotbed of scientific and technological excellence.