2016 will be a year full of inaugurations and launches of new industrial buildings and cultural spaces!
Many projects are springing up as a result of the growing attractiveness of Bordeaux, as shown by the investments in industry and services to be launched in 2016.
Companies who are investing :
- PolymerExpert, an R&D company is expanding to Pessac, with its new subsidiary Innolens, specialized in developing medical devices for eye surgery, especially cataracts, near-sightedness and far-sightedness.
Faced with a waiting list that extends to 2020, and in order to meet demand from the eye implant market, PolymerExpert is building a new 1,000 m² production unit, with delivery planned for spring 2016. The company also expects to raise funds of €1.7 million in 2016.
- The new Thales campus will be taking shape in 2016, for delivery in 2017. It will bring together, on the same site in Mérignac, the 2,000 employees already in Gironde as well as another 400 who will arrive from other regions. €200 million have been invested to build this factory of the future, to be housed in buildings that will cover an area of 55,000 m².
- Dassault Falcon service has chosen the grounds of Bordeaux Mérignac Airport to build a new maintenance center, and has invested €20 million in a 7,200 m² building. Delivery is planned for October 2016 when it will receive the Falcon 7X then the 8X and 5X. 70 people will be working there.
- New headquarters are also being created for 2 major key enterprises: the Crédit Agricole Aquitaine bank in the Bassins à flot area (12,000 m² with 500 employees) for an investment of €40 to 50 million, and the Gironde construction group Fayat on the right bank (20,000 m² in the Insight building).
- In the Bordeaux Euratlantique district, opposite the future headquarters of the Caisse d’Epargne Aquitaine Poitou Charentes bank, the Mazars group, an auditing and consulting firm, is constructing a building that will house all their teams scattered across Bordeaux; delivery expected for November.
- Also worth mentioning for this up and coming area, work began this January on the Cité Numérique (Digital City) in the old post office sorting office in Bègles, which will house Bordeaux’s digital ecosystem for the end of 2017.
- The biotechnology company Fermentalg, specializing in the production of oil and proteins derived from microalgae, and located in Libourne, has begun construction of a pilot factory for €20 million, which will be up and running in 2016.
- Lastly, at the beginning of January, Lesieur opened a new bottling and packaging plant for Lesieur vegetable oils in Bassens (Gironde), €31 million.
New cultural and educational areas
- On June 2015 the Cité du Vin will open after 3 years of construction work. This new cultural facility hopes to welcome 450,000 visitors a year to Bassins à flot, an area which is currently undergoing redevelopment; it was designed by the architects X-TU (€77 million).
- Also in the Bassins à flot area, Norbert Fradin, a Bordeaux property developer, has invested €25 million for the construction of the Museum of the Sea and the Navy. Work will begin in February 2016 and it will open in spring 2018. It is designed like a boarding ramp decorated with hanging gardens and with a 33-metre tower.
The Museum of the Sea will generate around 50 new jobs.
- The Mollat bookstore, the 3rd biggest independent bookstore in France, will celebrate its 120th anniversary this year, and will open a new cultural space in 2016, to be called Station Ausone Mollat. It will host a conference hall as well as exhibitions, concerts, etc.
- Lastly, the Campus de Bissy with its 5 graduate schools and 1,200 students is moving from Merignac to Bassins à flot at the start of the 2016 academic year, into a building on the quayside.
(Sources: Journal des Entreprises 08/01/2016, Invest in Bordeaux)