Once again this year, there were a lot of fundraising operations among Bordeaux-based companies, although the amounts were generally lower than in previous years, with fewer of them exceeding the symbolic €1 million mark.
The biggest fundraising operations in 2015:
- €11.2 million for Implanet, a medical technologies company specialising in spine implants and implants for knee surgery
- €4 million for Ingeliance, a general engineering company focusing on industrial innovation
- €3.5 million for Yooji, a start-up specialised in baby foods
- €2.5 million for Poietis, French leader in bioprinting (3D printing of living tissues)
- €2 million for Blitzr, the music “Google”
- €1.3 million for Azendoo, a company that publishes a web-access professional collaboration solution
- €1 million for BASE, specialised in thermal solar photovoltaic solutions
- €900,000 for Fly n Sense and its autonomous mini-UAVs
- €800,000 for Easy Live, French specialist in live broadcasts on internet
- €750,000 for Hyprevention, specialised in innovative implantable medical devices
- €700,000 for FabZat, the leader in 3D printing of video game figurines
- €600,000 for Wiidii, in innovative private concierge service for smartphones
- €600,000 for R&Drone, a mechatronics design firm for software and electronics solutions for robots and unmanned systems
- €565,000 for U’Wine, a brokerage company for private individuals, specialised in Grand Cru wines
- €550,000 for jelouemoncampingcar.com, a camping car rental platform between private individuals
2 companies have also opted for stock market listings:
- The Intégral group, the largest French group specialised in healthcare transport services;
- Ashler&Manson, a Bordeaux mortgage brokerage firm.
Most rounds of fundraising still go through the traditional channels: banks, investment funds or private investors.
Others opt for crowdfunding, however, which is growing exponentially.
Some of the crowdfunding platforms are based in Bordeaux, such as HappyCapital, HelloAsso and Crowdfundind-immo. They are examples of what are referred to as FinTechs, a new sector combining financial services and digital technology.
FrenchTech accreditation has revealed a dynamic digital ecosystem, while Bordeaux also ranks as the 4th banking and finance centre in France.
There is no shortage of FinTechs among the fabric of Bordeaux start-ups, including Happy Capital, HelloAsso, Crowdfunding-immo, Aucoffre.com, Benoolend, etc.
(Source : Invest in Bordeaux, Press February 2016)